Thursday, March 31, 2011

Flying Solo

I so wish this was going to be a post about Star Wars. I would prefer that immensely, but it's not, so tough cookies. I was going to call this post "vacation" but apparently I've already used that name and repeating would be confusing and lame. I could call it Vacation 2.0, but I don't remember where the last vacation was to, I'm too lazy to go check, and I don't want to use the same name unless the experience is similar/better, and this one is not.

A little background:
I love planes. Have since I was a kid. I also love to travel. So pretty much anything involving a station/port of any kind and things that go up in the air (or on water, but that's besides the point of this particular post) make my happy as a general rule.

On to today's adventure.
I am flying, with my parents to beautiful Los Angeles, California to spend a God sent four days in the splendiforus (sp?) sunshine and happiness of Disneyland in order to watch my younger sister's choir sing in front of approximately 40 people in Disney's California Adventure theme park. My mom called me exactly three times in the days before our flight to remind me about all the things I needed to have and do before I left for the airport, completely forgetting that I flew by myself on four different flights last January when I was in London. It just means she cares, but a little faith in my ability to traverse fairly idiot proof systems without help would be nice :P

  I haven't been to the Happiest Homecoming on Earth (DisneyWorld holds the title of actual happiest place. I'm not sure about EuroDisney and Disney Tokyo, I'll get back to you.) since I was a senior in high school and MY choir went to Disneyland, and there was some stuff I felt like I missed out on last time I was there, so I'm excited to be going back, but I'll write more about that when I actually have exciting things to discuss.

The exciting part of this post is that I'm posting from an actual airplane. Yes, I'm several 10's of thousands of feet up in the air right now (I missed the captain say exactly how high we are) and I'm posting on my blog. We live in an amazing age. The only way it could possibly be better is if the dinky service I paid ten dollars for would support my blog and grooveshark at the same time. But that's life.

The lame part of this blog post is that as awesome as it is to be on an airplane, economy kinda sucks. I don't really mind being crammed in with a whole bunch of people. I don't even really mind having the window seat, I actually really like to be able to look out at the clouds and ground and stuff and seeing how tiny things look from X-thousand feet up. I actually kinda wanted to be a small aircraft pilot for a while (still holding out that I'll have the time and funds to someday at least get my license). What I do mind is getting the window seat and then having the dude next to me (who I really hope isn't reading this over my shoulder, cause embarrassing) getting all up in my business so he can see out, and take pictures, too. Don't get me wrong, I gladly would have traded the guy seats, I don't NEED to look out the window as we take off and land, I just like to. But he didn't ask to trade seats, he just decided it would be much more polite to invade my personal space.
Ok, I'm done ranting.

And just because I made a Star Wars reference and don't actually want to just leave it hanging,
the three year old babysit and I played Star Wars last Monday. I was Anikin, because you can't let a perfectly good noise making blue light saber go to waste, and he was a clone, because they're his favorite. We walked around his house, me with my light saber, and him with a noise making clone gun, and a helmet that said clone phrases and was at least a third of his height, and too big, meaning he looked like the most adorable bobble head ever while wearing it. We saved his stuffed dog/best friend Puppy from all the enemies and then played legos. This has nothing to do with my trip, but it does prove I babysit the coolest three-year-old known to mankind.

Things to take from this post:
In flight internet, while an awesome idea, is super slow and crappy, I assume because the internet particle/wave magic has to travel so far before it gets to the airplane. Also, if you are on a plane and want to sit by the window, ask, don't be a space hog. Lastly, and completely unrelated, if you hate ear buds, buy these news things they make that are ear buds, but also wrap around your ear, they're awesome and they don't fall out. Consequently I finally found a use for those book/merchandise stores in airports besides just overpriced snacks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment