Sunday, May 1, 2011

My dream story

When I was 12, I discovered that I had a deep seated need to write professionally. Not technical books or journalistic articles or blurbs for magazines, but real stories, things that mean something to me personally.  Tales that wowed the imagination and sent the readers into a fantasy world all their own.

Since this realization I have finished exactly 0 real books (I refuse to count the books I made in third grade about sports or dinosaurs in which my friends played all the characters because that falls just a little to close to pre-online fanfiction for my taste, and I was 8 so that was before the realization anyway.) 1 one act play, 3 ish short stories, 1 ten minute play, and (ba babadahhhhhh!) 1 full length movie.

while it's still in the roughest stages of editing (aka I finished it tonight) it is technically, done. Meaning that I have achieved something. unfortunately I achieved it about an hour after the closing of script frenzy, the April, media version of NaNoWriMo, but I still count this as a huge accomplishment.

To Answer a few impending questions before they get out of hand:

No, none of you can read it yet, because I was going for page count rather than fluency on this first run so things are horribly out of order and I still have some transitions and opening/closing stuff to figure out (yes, my version of done is a rather loose one)  but once I have it more solidly fleshed out besides just the bare bones I needed to get Script frenzy out of the way, I will let a select few of you read, depending on bribery and how much I like you compared to the other people with good bribes.
(The above may or may not be true, I've been writing literally all day, and my brain hurts.) 

It's about a high school kid who wants to change his town for the better, so he starts a school club with that very goal, but faces a lot of adversity from parents and townspeople that want to keep things the way they are. (If i've already talked to you about it and this sounds different than what I told you, it's not, I just like surprises, so no one ruin it)

I wrote it for Script Frenzy, which was supposed to be during the month of April, but I got started late, and for some reason I convinced myself in college that I work better under pressure, so I wrote about three pages between the 15th and 29th, and finished the other 95 between the hours of 1ish PM and 12:30 AM on the 30th, cause why would I give myself time to do something when I can get so close only to fail because I don't type fast enough. Man, I miss college :P

hopefully I will be getting it good enough to send out to places, but it's really close to my heart, and part of me wants to wait til I'm good enough at film that I can direct it too so I know that it gets made well. Either that or I'm gonna have to make really good friends with a director, cause this thing isn't leaving my hands unless it's going to somebody good. Not because I'm a particularly good writer, but because this particular story needs to be told well.

And that's all you get for now. Check back for updates on how revision and mass editing are going, and comment if you want to read it, because I like comments, and I might even listen to it. Don't forget those bribes. I like chocolate, movies, and almost any kind of music :P

Peace.

3 comments:

  1. i will bribe you with a netflick. and, i will read it. thats not a question for me. its just a matter of when. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember....some of us are getting older. I guess we all are, it is just that some of us were old when you first mentioned this.
    We who are older would like to see it! If you can figure out what I mean.

    ReplyDelete